Children don’t vote
But are they an election issue?
Here’s some reasons why they should be:
- 2 in 5 citizens are under 18
- 2 in 3 children live below the poverty line
- 1 in 3 children have no running water at home
- 2 in 5 children don’t have proper toilets
- 1 in 5 children have no electricity at home
- 1 in 3 teens travel long distances to school
- 2 in 5 schools don’t have adequate sanitation (www.childrencount.ci.org.za)
- 4 in 5 children only develop basic literacy by Grade 5
- 3 in 5 schools have no libraries (The Progress in International Reading Literacy study 2006)
How do we get answers from local election candidates and their parties on how they plan to tackle these issues?
Here’s our Piercing the Promises: Election Accountability Pack
Also read presentations made by Anthony Ambrose (World Vision International) and Joan Van Niekerk (Child Line)