News - Media Release
- The Media 24 Case: Centre for Child Law and 4 Others v Media 24 Limited and 13 Others (Part B)
What: Privacy of child victims, witnesses and offenders vs Freedom of expression
Where: Pretoria High Court
When: From 10am on 9 & 10 February 2017
Why: The first part of the case was about protecting the identity of a specific child victim. The second part of the case is to determine the scope of the law concerned for all child victims, child witnesses and child offenders.
- Applicants: Centre for Child Law; Childline, NICRO, Media Monitoring Africa
- Respondents:11 media organisations , SANEF, Minister of Justice and Correctional Services, NDPP
- The Minister does not oppose the Centre’s application
- MMA’s SABC Inquiry Presentation
See the full presentation presented to the SABC Parliamentary Inquiry in December 2016.
- Media Monitoring Africa Reveals SABC Failed to adhere to the ICASA order and the Public Protest Ban
Media Monitoring Africa Reveals SABC Failed to adhere to the ICASA order and the Public Protest Ban was still in place up to as recently as October. MMA applauds ICASA’s decision to lay criminal charges against the SABC for failing to comply with its order on broadcast of footage of violent protests. Day one of the inquiry and already SABC has elected to walks out of the parliamentary inquiry to divert attention from a deluge of damning evidence.
- Media Monitoring Africa supports the SABC 8 and condemns further threats to our democracy!
The news that the SABC 8 have been receiving death threats pose a clear and present danger to our democracy. We call on the SAPS and all other law enforcement agencies to treat these actions as a priority crime.
- Isu Elihle Awards launched and finalists announced
On Monday, 8 November 2016, Media Monitoring Africa launched the inaugural Isu Elihle Awards at Google South Africa in Byranston, Johannesburg.